Videos, Zoom calls, Google Classrooms and Online Learning became the new reality for our school!
Our teachers (Preschool through Gr. 8) hit the ground running March 17th to adjust their curriculum to distance learning strategies that reinforce old and introduce new content for our students.
It was God’s Grace and the patience and understanding of our families that supported us as we navigated these uncharted territories together!
The following four areas became our ‘Compass Points’ for this time away:
- PRAYER–PRAYER was made a priority for our families. We know that if we put God first, everything else falls into its proper place.
- We have been able to take advantage of the offerings put forth by Fr. Williams and our parish family! We were blessed to have weekly school Masses (live-streamed or recorded) for students.
- Opportunities for our entire school to enter into prayer were offered as optional ways to connect spiritually: virtual recess rosary, or a decade-a-day
- Fun faith-filled opportunities were made available specifically to our middle school students: Campus Ministry Zoom Club, virtual service opportunities for the school and local community, and a virtual retreat for our graduating Class of 2020!
- COMMUNICATION–Open communication was key! Friday e-newsletters continued to keep our school community connected; teacher Google Sites and Google Classrooms were updated daily. Individual check-ins were scheduled with students and parents to help bridge the digital gaps.
- FLEXIBILITY–Parent and student responses to surveys during remote learning helped us with the ongoing evaluation of our current systems and improved them as necessary. Teachers adjusted their approaches with feedback. Flex Fridays were instituted in the middle school to allow for student interests to be explored, and for social and emotional wellness to be cared for.
- SUPPORT–We appreciated the support of our families as we worked to maintain the academic mission of our school for ALL students. This time was an important reminder that our greatness as a school community has always been directly related to the priority given by each individual to the wholistic relationship between schooling and home life. We are partners in the education of our students!
CLICK for FREE INTERACTIVE PARENT FORUMS: The following Interactive Parent Forums were offered by The S.E.A.L. Foundation and can be re-visited. Topics include:
* The Social-Emotional Impact of COVID-19
* The Power of Positivity and Optimism
* Self Care, Validation, Creating Routines and How to Communicate with your School
* How to Schedule Your Child’s Day, “Chunking” and Breaking Down Assignments
We are grateful for the efforts of our amazing teachers who continued providing the best education for your child(ren) to close out the school year remotely. We will keep you informed as decisions are made for the approaches that will allow us to maintain our academic mission in the coming school year.
Let us continue to pray for all those directly affected by this virus. God bless us all with health and grace as we journey together, in these days ahead. We are all missing each other very much and hopeful for a “new normal” where we can be together again!